Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Durham Center of Innovation to ADAPT

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge


The postdoctoral fellowship is open to both clinical (e.g., psychology) and non-clinical (e.g., health services research, health policy) PhDs. 75% of fellows’ time will be protected for health services research, with the remaining 25% time given to clinical or committee work in service of the Durham VA Healthcare System.  Postdoctoral fellows have opportunities to receive additional didactic training, tailored to the fellows’ interests and needs, but this is not required.

Click on the link to download the application: PhD Application
The priority deadline is January 18, 2024.

Each applicant must:

  • be a United States citizen;
  • must have successfully completed an academic program offering a doctorate;
  • and must have successfully defended a dissertation by the beginning of the postdoctoral training year (as early as July 1st of each academic year).

The Durham Veterans Affairs Health Care System is an equal opportunity employer. 
Persons from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

Stipends are awarded by OAA (VA Office of Academic Affairs) upon acceptance into the OAA program. Standard VA benefits are included.

Each potential applicant has an initial screening telephone call with one of the Directors to assess eligibility (e.g., United States citizenship) and fit with our program. Based on stated interests, the Directors recommend faculty members with potential content or methodological match as potential mentors. Application materials include:

  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Two letters of support
  • Brief scientific writing sample completed primarily by the applicant 
  • 2-3 page personal statement to include research experience, career plan, goals for fellowship with potential projects and faculty mentors.
  • Completed application form

All complete applications will be reviewed by several fellowship supervisors, including mentors. Successful applicants have demonstrated potential for becoming independent investigators. Notification of acceptance is dependent on timing of applications received and applicants’ scheduled dissertation defenses.

For further information about the fellowship, contact:

Elizabeth Strawbridge
ADAPT Education Coordinator

 Jennifer M. Gierisch, PhD, MPH

Jennifer M. Gierisch, PhD, MPH

Director, PhD Postdoctoral Program 


Leah L. Zullig, PhD, MPH  

Deputy Director, PhD Postdoctoral Program